Unitarian Church of Montpelier
Job Title: Sexton
Effective July 1, 2022
Reports to: Congregational Administrator
Status: Part-time, 0.3 FTE, 12 hrs/week
FLSA: Non-exempt, Hourly
Schedule: Flexible; Some evenings and weekends
The Sexton is responsible for custodial care and upkeep of the church facility
and assisting with the use of the building and property.
● Provide a welcoming and safe environment for anyone using the facility.
● Responsible for providing as-needed custodial cleaning of church building for all church
functions and usages by renters in coordination with the office staff.
● Perform routine and as-needed maintenance of the church building, including the making
of small repairs and replacement of expiring items.
● Identify the need for major repairs, to be reported to the Property Committee.
● Communicate effectively with Rental Coordinator and renters as necessary to ensure set-
up of equipment, unlocking and securing building.
● Serve as staff liaison to the Property Committee.
● Provide on-call support for church members and outside groups using the building.
● Interact with tradespeople and contractors as needed.
● Interact with walk-in visitors and respond to questions as needed.
● Promote continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
● Report any unusual or unsafe conditions to the Church Administrator.
● Participate in staff and executive team meetings as needed.
● Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates ability to work with a variety of people. Demonstrates the
skills of active listening and acceptance of feedback.
Time Management: Uses time effectively and efficiently; values time and respects the time of
others; concentrates his/her efforts on the most important priorities; can appropriately balance
Helping Orientation: Demonstrates concern for and attends to the needs of the congregation’s
internal and external constituents; projects a sense of empathy and understanding when dealing
with members and friends of the congregation.
● Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends
● Good communication skills
● Previous cleaning/custodial experience
● Basic knowledge and experience in carpentry, plumbing and electrical
● Ability to work independently and to follow instructions, as needed
● Able to lift 50 lbs. and climb ladders
● Comfortable working with and knowledgeable of cleaning products
● Ability to identify necessary tasks and accomplish them.
● Trustworthy, honest, has good work ethic.
● Ability to pass a criminal background check.
● Will be expected to pass ServSafe Food Handlers course (kitchen sanitation)
The salary for this position follows the UUA Salary Recommendations (Geo
Index 2, Midsize II). The position also includes leave time according to the UCM Personnel
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, please send the following items to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Sexton
● A cover letter explaining your motivation to apply, interest in the position, and relevant
skills and experience
● Two professional references
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The Unitarian Church of Montpelier is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage
applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who
will contribute to the diversity of our staff.