Two Services Exploration
It is a joy and a blessing to continue to have a full sanctuary on most Sunday mornings. The fullness can also create challenges for welcoming all as newcomers, latecomers, and families can have difficulty finding a place to sit and to feel truly welcomed into this shared time of worship and community-building.
This year, we will begin exploring having two services on Sundays. The major change will be during the month of January when we will have two services on all four Sundays.
Rev. Joan recently convened a planning group comprised of representatives from the Membership, Music, Property, Religious Education, and Worship & Arts committees to put together a plan for the month of January which includes service times, general format of services, religious education programming, coffee hour, and other details important to our Sunday morning time together.
Dates with Two Services: January 7, 14, 21, 28
Worship Theme: Intention
Times of Services: 9AM & 11AM. A coffee hour will follow each service.
Content of the Services:
- Same basic order of service, except one multigenerational service at 9AM on January 14.
- Same sermon at both services each Sunday.
- Music will be an integral part of both services.
- Choir will sing most Sundays only once at 11AM except January 28 when they will sing at both the 9am and 11am service.
- Children will participate in the first part of the service at both 9AM and 11AM as they usually do before going to their Religious Education program (except for the multigenerational service when they will participate in the whole service).
- Nursery care will be offered at both services.
- RE classes by grade (our current program) will be offered during the 9am service and a one-room, all ages program will be offered during the 11am service.
- Adult RE will offer a program during the “middle hour” (10:15 am-11am) on Sunday, January 28.
Here are some ways we can each help make the month of January a success:
- Volunteer on the hospitality team as an usher, greeter, elevator operator, or barista.
- Volunteer to help with the RE All Ages Program one Sunday.
- Bring a friend to church or reach out to someone you know hasn’t been coming to church recently to invite them back.
- Go to a service you might be hesitant to attend, i.e. if you think you’d prefer the 11AM, try out the 9AM service on Sunday and vice versa.
- Keep an intentionally open mind.
You can continue to check this web page for up-to-date information.
Also, mark your calendars for these important open discussions about two services:
- Sunday, November 12, after the service in the Sanctuary – open forum
- Sunday, February 11, after the service in the Sanctuary – open forum