We ARE a Welcoming Congregation
We Would Like Your Input
The Unitarian Church of Montpelier is a “Welcoming Congregation,” which indicates that the church aims to be fully inclusive of individuals who self identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, and other (LGBTQ+). This is a designation that was awarded by the Unitarian Universalist Association after a multi-year process culminating in an application submitted in 2013. It is now time to re-certify in order to maintain our designation.
Over the past six years the Welcoming Congregation Committee, working with church staff, members and friends, has done many things, including:
- organized Sunday worship services, addressing LGBTQ+ issues, every other year
- had a table, bulletin board, and committee member present to welcome questions at Sunday coffee hour
- created and maintained a lending library of books with LGBTQ+ themes for adults and children
- co-sponsored showings of films and discussions of books with Montpelier’s Kellogg-Hubbard Library
- offered workshops with trained facilitators
- promoted and arranged space and facilitators for “Friday Night Group” for teens
- recruited participants for Pride marches in Burlington
- hosted a gathering of UUs from Northern New England churches which have the WC designation
Please feel free to comment about these efforts and suggest additional ways we can be even more inclusive and welcoming to members of the LGBTQ+ community. Please send comments to Nancy Schulz, the chair of the Welcoming Congregation Committee.