We Would Like Your Input
The Unitarian Church of Montpelier is a “Welcoming Congregation,” which indicates that the church aims to be fully inclusive of individuals who self identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, and other (LGBTQ+). This is a designation that was awarded by the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) after a multi-year process culminating in an application submitted in 2013. It is now time to re-certify in order to maintain our designation.
Over the past six years the Welcoming Congregation Committee, working with church staff, members, and friends, has organized and encouraged participation in many activities and events, some of which are listed below.
- Organizes Sunday worship services, addressing LGBTQ+ issues, every other year
- Has a table, bulletin board, and committee member present to welcome questions at one Sunday coffee hour each week
- Maintains a lending library of books with LGBTQ+ themes for adults and children
- Presents films and hosts guests for events followed by discussions of LGBTQ+ related issues
- Offered several Safe Zone workshops with a trained facilitator
- Has partnered with the Kellogg-Hubbard Library for seven years to host films and book discussions
- Helped with the Our Whole Lives (OWL) K-6 sexual education program
- Arranged for space and facilitators for “Friday Night Group” for LGBTQ+ teens
- Organizes participation at Pride marches in Burlington
- Advocated for gender-neutral signage for UCM bathrooms
Please feel free to comment about these efforts, and please suggest additional ways we can be even more welcoming and aware of LGBTQ+ issues. Please send comments & suggestions to Welcoming Congregation Committee Chair Nancy Schulz (email@example.com), visit the Welcoming Congregation Committee Table in the Vestry on a Sunday morning, or share your comments and suggestions with other members of the Welcoming Congregation Committee (Anne Ferguson, Phil Morse, Ellie Peters, Lindsay Wade, and Ruth Witte).