Unitarian Church of Montpelier
Job Title: Congregational Administrator
Reports to: Minister
Supervises: Office Assistant/Rental Coordinator, Sexton
Status: Full-Time, 1.0 FTE (40 hours/week)
Start Date: January 1, 2023
Work Schedule: The Administrator is expected to work in the church office at least three days a week during regular business hours with occasional evening or weekend hours for committee meetings. Office space is provided.
Job Summary: The Congregational Administrator directly supports those who carry out the mission of the church by managing the daily operations of the church effectively, productively, and collaboratively. The Administrator is responsible for supervising a number of critical financial and operational areas, including bookkeeping, budget review, database management, IT support, and building management. This position requires minimal supervision. The Administrator must demonstrate initiative, integrity, professionalism, and fiduciary responsibility.
- Responsible for bookkeeping including payables, charitable contributions, budget monitoring, and cash management.
- Collaborate with the Treasurer to ensure that the appropriate fiduciary controls and mechanisms are in place and followed.
- Prepare, analyze, and present regular financial reports and summaries to the minister, Executive Team, Finance Committee, Governing Board, and others as requested.
- Assist with annual budget preparation, the annual stewardship campaign and other fundraising efforts as requested.
- Oversee storage of all the financial records.
- Keep up to date with non-profit laws and tax changes.
- Manage payroll process: maintain time records, prepare payroll processing, tax reporting, etc.
- Administer all employee benefits, including the health insurance and retirement plans.
- Regularly inform all employees about benefits for which they are eligible, providing enrollment information and assistance with applying for benefits.
- Work with the Personnel Committee to maintain personnel policies and recommend revisions when necessary.
- Provide direct supervision of the Office Assistant/Rental Coordinator and Sexton, including support for setting work priorities and planning, providing feedback, and conducting performance evaluations.
- Supervise the Office Assistant/Rental Coordinator in the goal of handling and scheduling building rentals and church-related events, maintaining the church calendar and providing general clerical assistance to staff and members.
- Supervise the Sexton in the goal of maintaining a clean, safe and welcoming facility.
- Coordinate with office staff to fulfill requests for administrative support made by other staff and committees.
- Serve as the administrator of the church member database, Breeze, and ensure security of all financial information, including pledge information.
- Manage the supervision of data entry and management, establishing and maintaining data entry protocols.
- Oversee storage of church records of enduring value, such as meeting minutes, personnel files, annual reports, and other documents.
- Produce summary and interpretative reports as required by the UUA, and for internal evaluation and planning purposes.
- Manage the operation of the church office and technical infrastructure including business machines, computers, communications networks and collaborate with the Tech Team about audio/visual equipment.
- Ensure that maintenance and equipment upgrades are scheduled and performed.
- Establish and maintain policies around software and hardware upgrade frequency.
- Maintain adequate data protection and backup policies.
- Maintain password and other security policies.
- Maintain church webpage domain and engage paid support as necessary for management and updating of UCM website.
- Provide staff and committees with technical support.
- Oversees building maintenance, scheduling, and rental, in coordination with the office assistant, sexton, volunteer staff and various committees.
- In collaboration with the Executive Team, develops and maintains policies and procedures that both promote community access to the building and protect the integrity and safety of the property.
- Report on church operations in regular meetings with the Minister, staff, Executive Team, and Finance Committee.
- Meet as appropriate with other relevant committees and teams, such as Stewardship, Personnel, Communications and Property Committees.
- Maintain membership in and leverage resources of the Association of UU Administrators.
- Mission Ownership: Demonstrates understanding of and full support of the mission, values, and Unitarian Universalist principles of the Unitarian Church of Montpelier.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates ability to lead others and work effectively with a variety of people. Demonstrates the skills of active listening and acceptance of critical feedback. Collaborates with others and resolves conflict. Understands how congregational communication, decision making, and leadership works and navigates accordingly. Maintains confidentiality in general, and specifically in relation to ministry, financial and pastoral concerns.
- Communication Skills: Demonstrates excellent written communication and presentation skills. Communicates effectively with a variety of stakeholders.
- Financial Aptitude: Demonstrates an understanding of accepted accounting principles and ability to interpret and explain budgets, reports, and record keeping procedures. Applies extraordinary care and attention to detail in the maintenance of records. Maintains confidentiality and protects personal information.
- Supervisory Skills: Establishes clear expectations and sets clear direction; provides regular and ongoing feedback about performance; proactively deals with substandard performance in a timely manner.
- Management Skills: Demonstrates ability to work independently, fulfill commitments, maintain flexibility, prioritize tasks, and approach work with effective organizational skills with minimum supervision. Recognizes opportunities for synergy and integration. Makes recommendations and suggestions for improving processes.
- Technical Aptitude: Demonstrates a broad knowledge of information technology. Applies skills to solve problems and improve the effectiveness and efficiency of church business operations. Demonstrates the ability to grasp and apply advances in technology.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field.
- At least three years experience in supervision and financial management, including bookkeeping, recordkeeping, budget preparation, and asset management. Experience in church or non-profit operations and management preferred.
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in using Windows, Microsoft Office Suite, QuickBooks, Google Drive and/or Dropbox, Zoom, and data management software. Ability to adapt to other software as necessary.
- Experience with technological infrastructure management.
- Experience with overall facilities management.
- Proof of full vaccination against Covid-19 submitted before start of employment with UCM. In addition, staying up to date on Covid-19 vaccination is strongly recommended for all UCM employees.
COMPENSATION: The salary for this position follows the UUA Salary Recommendations (Geo Index 2, Midsize II) and is commensurate with experience and credentialing. The position also includes health insurance coverage, professional development expenses, and leave time according to the UCM Personnel Policies.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, please send the following items to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Congregational Administrator.”
- A cover letter explaining your motivation to apply, interest in the position, and relevant skills and experience
- Two professional references
Applications are due by close of business on Wednesday, November 30 and will be accepted until the position is filled.
The Unitarian Church of Montpelier is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of our staff.