March Mystery Madness
March Mystery Madness is a playful way our congregation connects with one another toward the end of winter. 2017 will be the 6th year for this much-anticipated multi-generational game. Please join us in this guessing game. It is a beloved UCM tradition that helps us knit together the many generations that are part of our community. It really is for people of ALL ages and the more the merrier!
▪ This program matches an adult-child pair for several weeks of note and small gift exchanges where each partner will share hints and clues about their identity.
▪ Sundays March 12th, 19th, 26th will be the dates of exchanges. If sign-up but you can’t be there on any of those Sundays, please give a clue/note and small gift to someone else to put in your mailbox.
▪ A discovery celebration will be held on Sunday April 2, 11:15am – noon, where the partners will be revealed and enjoy refreshments together and games. Please make sure you can be there on that date if you sign-up.
▪ The sign-up deadline is Sunday March 5, 11:15am. On March 5th we’ll send out postcards to all the participants. You’ll find out your Mystery Match # (which is your mailbox # for each other.
▪ Mailboxes (in the form of a hanging organizer) will be provided in the vestry for participants to make the exchanges. One side of the vestry for children and one side for adults (signs will guide you). Please put your clue/gift in your match’s mailbox BEFORE the service. Check your mailbox only AFTER the service. This helps us keep track of anyone who may not have received a note.
▪ When you sign up, you will be asked to fill out a short questionnaire so that we may share information with each participant about their mystery pal’s age and interests.
▪ Adults of all ages and children are invited to sign up.
▪ Suggested ages for children are kindergarten through sixth grade, but this is up to parents discretion.
▪ Youth in seventh grade and above are invited to participate as either child or adult.
▪ Parental permission is needed for any participants under eighteen.
▪ Sign-up sheets will be made available in Sunday school classes and after church at the Children’s Snack table and Welcome table.
▪ You may also sign up online: Sign Up Here
▪ Helpers will be available at the Children’s Snack Table on Sunday mornings to help you sign-up.
Need some ideas for notes and small gifts?
Keep in mind that you should tuck away your note/gift after you get it during coffee hour. If your partner sees you walking around holding their note/gift they will know who you are and it takes away some of the mystery!
- A letter with some clues about yourself and what you like about our church.
- A picture or photo of your pet (past or present) and a note about him or her.
- A picture of you where it is hard to tell who you are (baby picture, picture taken from behind, or a picture taken from faraway).
- A picture or map of the town where you were born or towns where you have lived.
- Found objects like shells or pebbles and a little story about where or how you found them.
- A postcard from a place you enjoyed visiting or living.
- A word search with hidden words that describe you or your hobbies
- A list or picture of some of your favorite foods and maybe a simple recipe on how to make one of them
- A homemade cookie and a note about when or how you learned to make them, or maybe a story or picture about who taught you to bake…pay attention to allergies though.
- A mix tape or CD of some of your favorite music
- A handmade bookmark with words or pictures about your favorite books or characters.
- Something small that goes with something you or your match enjoy doing (a fun pencil for writing, some seeds if they enjoy gardening, etc.)
People are already signing up to take part in this exciting, fun, and rewarding event. Don’t miss out on the fun!
UCM Youth Group
This year our youth group is open to 9-12th graders and any 8th graders who have completed UCM’s Coming of Age program. We meet once a month. The high school youth are currently planning on attending the Regional Youth Gathering at the Burlington Unitarian Church March 18-19. Upcoming meeting dates are listed in the weekly e-news.
2016-2017 Religious Education Registration
Please register your child(ren) if they are participating in any religious education programming during this church year. We need a new one each year, for each child: babies who may try the nursery through 12th graders. It’s quick and easy and helps us meet their needs and yours. Thank you!
Other RE resources:
- Calendar of UCM Religious Education 2016-2017
- Most Sundays are “RE Sundays” meaning after a little time in the sanctuary, the congregation sings the RE students and teachers out (pre-K – 5th graders to the Children’s Chapel (aka “The Green Rug” while 6th-8th graders exit the back of the sanctuary to the Bell Tower room).
- We have five Sundays that are ‘multigen.’ Multi-generational worship includes an order of service geared toward engaging all ages in the sanctuary together. These are fun and special services (see FAQ below)!
- During school vacation weeks, many families are out of town and we don’t have enough kids for separate RE classes. So we have ‘RE one room schoolhouse’ in which we try to dynamic activities for pre-school – 8th graders all together in the Children’s Chapel. This is usually led by the DRE or another guest facilitator and the RE teachers can have a day off. Help from willing parents is very welcomed on these “one room” days!
Most Unitarian Universalist congregations have child dedication ceremonies for infants and children. This special ritual is a blessing for the new life within our community, an expression of the hopes of the parents, and a promise by the congregation to support and nurture the child in its spiritual life. Our next Child Dedication will be sometime this spring. Please contact Rev. Joan at ucm.revjoan @gmail.com or Liza Earle-Centers, Acting DRE ucm.dre @gmail.com if you’d like more information and/or you’d like your child to be a part of such a dedication ceremony.