Children and Youth
Kids/Youth Annual Meeting
(and child care for the Adult Annual Meeting)
Sunday May 21, 11am-noon while the adults meet in the sanctuary
Our 5th principle teaches us that our faith is a democratic one and that all people need a voice. To help parents attend the meeting, we’ll watch the kids. Also, this will be a chance for children and youth to weigh in on things that matter to them in terms of our RE program and our congregation. We’ll also have straight childcare for the littlest ones and others who might not be as interested in a discussion. We’ll start immediately after the service, in the vestry. Feel free to pack a bag lunch for your child. We’ll have snacks available. Signing up is helpful, but walk-ins will be welcome. RSVP here.
UCM Midsummer Camping–Register soon!
The Camping Coordinating Committee is happy to announce that we’ve reserved 3 group camping sites–16 lean-to shelters–at nearby Kettle Pond for Fri. 7/21-Mon. 7/24. Stay for 1-3 nights or just sign-up for a day visit. This is a family-friendly, multigenerational gathering for community building and nurturing our spiritual journey while out in nature. We’ll have a potluck Sat. at noon, a campfire Sat. evening, and some optional activities interspersed, including an outdoor worship service on Sunday morning. Registration forms and more details are at the Camping Committee webpage, or stop by our table during coffee hour.
Most Unitarian Universalist congregations have child dedication ceremonies for infants and children. This special ritual is a blessing for the new life within our community, an expression of the hopes of the parents, and a promise by the congregation to support and nurture the child in its spiritual life. Our next Child Dedication will be Sunday, May 21. Please contact Rev. Joan at ucm.revjoan @gmail.com or Liza Earle-Centers, Acting DRE ucm.dre @gmail.com if you’d like more information and/or you’d like your child to be a part of such a dedication ceremony. Please let us know by May 12. Keep your eye out for announcements about another dedication ceremony in the fall, if this date does not work for your family.
2016-2017 Religious Education Registration
Please register your child(ren) if they are participating in any religious education programming during this church year. We need a new one each year, for each child: babies who may try the nursery through 12th graders. It’s quick and easy and helps us meet their needs and yours. Thank you!
Other RE resources:
- Calendar of UCM Religious Education 2016-2017
- Help us keep our kids happy during coffee hour. Sign-up here to help with the snack table.
- Most Sundays are “RE Sundays” meaning after a little time in the sanctuary, the congregation sings the RE students and teachers out (pre-K – 5th graders to the Children’s Chapel (aka “The Green Rug” while 6th-8th graders exit the back of the sanctuary to the Bell Tower room).
- We have five Sundays that are ‘multigen.’ Multi-generational worship includes an order of service geared toward engaging all ages in the sanctuary together. These are fun and special services (see FAQ below)!
- During school vacation weeks, many families are out of town and we don’t have enough kids for separate RE classes. So we have ‘RE one room schoolhouse’ in which we try to dynamic activities for pre-school – 8th graders all together in the Children’s Chapel. This is usually led by the DRE or another guest facilitator and the RE teachers can have a day off. Help from willing parents is very welcomed on these “one room” days!